What is the goal of the workshop in one sentence?
The workshop goal is: Become more empathetic for your technical colleagues by understanding version systems and the engineering process. It will strengthens your technical capabilities and credibility.
But, can I have more details? Sure.
The workshop is a result of years of experience in the software design field. The workshop will go into the details of version control systems (VCS) like Git and lays out why designers should understand the inner workings. Furthermore and throughout the workshop you will get to understand the benefits for your own process and how the collaboration between design and engineering can be improved. A big part of successful cross-departmental collaboration is an understanding for the other persons’ goals and needs.
What Will I Learn?
- As a designer, why should I know about Git and version control? What is my benefit?
- Why does the knowledge about versioning benefit team collaboration and cycle time?
- What are version control systems (VCS), what is Git and why do development teams use them
- Why do people use remote services like Github, Gitlab or Bitbucket?
- How do I work with Git apps like SourceTree or Github for Mac?
- How is Git being used on a daily basis (workflow, commands and actions)?
- What are the pitfalls and disadvantages and how can I use that to my benefit?
- Learn hands-on how to collaborate more effectively with your design and engineering team
Am I within the target audience?
The workshop has been carefully put together for all non-developers who want to be more empathetic with their fellow team members. Empathy will allow you to improve collaboration across design and development teams and to stand out in your organisation.
What will I need?
- A Mac and a good internet connection
- All software that is used or explained in the workshop is available for free online
Does the workshop cost anything?
The workshop fee is 129 EUR per person to be paid upfront. But, we give a guarantee: 100% money-back if you are not satisfied.
OK and who will be the instructor?
Andree Huk, the Experience Design Director at blended.io, will be leading the workshop.